Taking Clinical Photos
- Take photos against a plain backdrop/empty wall. (Grid, laser line and waist string are not required)
- Have the patient wear something that will still show the entire back/spine and hips clearly, such as an open back bathing suit or a bra with a very narrow strap.
- Pants/shorts need to be snug so the outline of the torso and hips is clearly visible (no baggy or bunched up clothing).
- Pictures should be taken to include at least the ear level to the ends of the fingertips.
- Take photos of the patient’s front (the face can be left out), right side, left side, and back, with arms hanging loosely at the side.
- Take two additional photos with the arm across the chest so the side of the body is visible.
- Please ensure the photos are a high resolution (3MB or higher), not blurry and have good lighting.
Example of a Clinical Photo Set
Saving X-rays from a CD on Windows
Installing the viewing software
MicroDicom DICOM viewer 4.0.0 x86 (4.26 MB 2021-11-11)
MicroDicom DICOM viewer 4.0.0 x64 (4.79 MB 2021-11-11)
Portable zip package(no installation required):
MicroDicom DICOM viewer 4.0.0 x86 zip (4.93 MB 2021-11-11)
MicroDicom DICOM viewer 4.0.0 x64 zip (5.64 MB 2021-11-11)
Autorun package for CD/DVD/USB:
MicroDicom DICOM viewer CD/DVD 4.0.0 (10.50 MB 2021-11-11)
macOS wine installer package:
MicroDicom DICOM viewer macOS wine package (7.45 MB 2021-11-11)
- Right click and in the menu click "Save As"
- Choose where you want to save the file. If unsure, just use your desktop.
- When it finishes, right click on the file and select "Extract all…"
- Click "Extract" on the box that pops up
- Right click "mDicom.exe" and select "Send to" and then "Desktop (as shortcut)"
Viewing and saving the X-rays
- Insert the CD into your computer
- Close/ignore any programs the CD starts
- Open mDicom.exe
- Click the CD icon in the upper left (in-between the open folder and search icons)
- Click Flie > Export > To a picture file
- Next to "Destination" ADD the patient's name AFTER the last backslash
- "Select source" should be set to "All patients"
- Image format should be set to PNG or JPG
- The box for "Create sub-folders for Patient, Study, Series" should be unchecked
- The box for “Annotations” should be checked and “All overlay” should be selected
- Click "Export"